Wednesday 26 January 2011

A very late and brief update on Christmas.

No Christmas treat for BG this year – I forgot her carrot, but I can’t say that she seemed too upset. Christmas did give me a chance to catch up on all the poo-picking though, now there’s a Christmas treat for me! Luckily it was all frozen, I prefer hacking the muck off the ground to the thick mud we had a few weeks later. There was mud, mud everywhere.

BG had the farrier out over Christmas. As the farrier still hadn’t got their van fixed they turned up with another farrier who was going to trim BG and P2, whilst the normal farrier shod P1. I was a little wary of this, since BG isn’t good with strangers. The first time she met her normal farrier she broke free three times. She was relatively new to the field so still not at home and the farrier did have a scary towel at the time. Despite my worries it went really well, maybe BG prefers male farriers. He made a gentle fuss of her so she got to know him and was very calm around her. She snorted to start with and then just stood as normal. The sides of the crack on her hoof didn’t get smoothed off as much as normal so I will need to keep an eye on that, but despite the trim and hard ground she did not go sore at all afterwards.

We had one shivering incident over the Christmas period on a very wet day, but some hay soon had her steaming and the shivering stopped.

We also acquired a new field companion over the Christmas period, although I haven’t seen them for a few weeks. A black cat could often be found curled up on the hay.

No comments:

Post a Comment