Saturday 1 May 2010

The joys of having a pony - wormer night

It was wormer time tonight. BG is on the Equest/ Equest Pramox wormer which means every 13 weeks she needs to have her wormer. It was one of the things when I got her that I had never had to organize before. I had been there when she had it in her food but not when having to choose the right one. Luckily our local tack shop has a very helpful lady that talks you through them and tells you the options. It is cheaper to order them online if you know what you are doing, but I like the comfort of someone else advising me whilst I still know so little about it.

BG has always had her wormer in her food. It seems the Equest/ Equest Pramox tastes and smells foul though. She has never been that keen on it so she gets an extra large tea when she is due it. She always gets there in the end with a bit of persuasion though.

She is getting stubborn in her old age.

When she came into her field shelter I think she smelt the wormer straight away. She wouldn't have her head collar on. So that took twenty minutes to achieve. If she won't have it on straight away I get on with something else and ignore her, eventually she decides having the head collar on so she can have her tea is a good idea. Try and force it on her and she'll whip round, put her bottom towards you and stand in the corner nervously.

So that was the first hurdle, the headcollar. Second was trying to persuade her to eat her food. BG took one sniff, turned her nose up at it and went to look out the field shelter entrance.

Most people syringe wormer down their horses throats. With BG and her fear of everything we have never done this - I think next time we might have to give it a go.

I think in total I was up there two hours. The saddle and lunge rope I took up got no use tonight, it was all about her tea and the wormer.

You just wish you could tell them it is for their own good. It upsets me to think BG will hate me or not trust me because of this. I wonder if she will come in for her breakfast in the morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment