Tuesday 18 May 2010

A Sunday and a Monday

You will be glad to hear that BG doesn’t seem to hate me after our bad Saturday. She is having her head collar on again in her shelter with no fuss. She is taking her time coming in for her food though, I think the spring grass and sunshine means it takes a lot of will power for her to think about leaving wherever her current patch of grass is. On Sunday morning P2 said ‘if you aren’t going to have your breakfast I will’ and him trotting past BG spurred her into action.

She isn’t so keen on interaction after she has eaten though. Sometimes when I go to groom her or put on her fly spray she will go and hide at the back of her shelter. Still, I read somewhere how happy someone was that they no longer have to tie their pony up to groom them, I have never tied her up in a stall for this and don’t intend to so I guess we are doing a little better than some others sometimes do. It is these glimmers of hope I have to hold onto sometimes when other things aren’t going so well.

BG was lunged on Sunday and then last night we went to bridle her again. This didn’t go so well. The bridle went on fine but not the bit. She just would not open her mouth and I could not persuade her to. She kept pulling back too and throwing her head up in the air. I hate this, she had become perfect at the bit and now she has reverted. I used to just hold it in front of her and say ‘In’ and in her mouth she put it. I’m not sure what has made her revert. Unfortunately you can’t let them get away with it when they are being stubborn, so I spent an hour and a half there just to put a bit in her mouth!

We led her out briefly once it was in and then let her go. She led out beautifully, not her recent headstrong self, so I guess that is a little positive to take away from the day. I just wish I knew why she didn’t want it in, she seemed very perky and back to her cheeky self once it was in so I don’t believe it can be hurting her.

In other news I am currently trying to figure out when I should next get the farrier out. Normally I would leave it for a good few weeks more, but where she had the seedy toe cut out the farrier said to have them re-trimmed when she starts to grow some toe. Unfortunately farrier visits are a little awkward due to being at work nearly all the day, it means there are only a few time slots when I can fit it in and they don’t always agree with when the farrier is free.

No comments:

Post a Comment