Tuesday 21 December 2010

Ice, ice and more ice

The frozen weather came back with a vengeance, I can’t remember the last day the ponies were able to reach any grass. We are getting through our hay stocks and the water buckets are starting to freeze over again before I’ve even left the field, even with me removing every last shard of ice. They get a minimum of three visits a day, two from my husband and I and one from the owner of P1 and P2. The gate is frozen shut so we are having to climb over. The ground is rutted and solid so BG has started to tread very carefully the last few days. All three ponies are coping fine though.

I weight taped BG the other morning and she was a whooping 456kg. I guessed 450kg so not a bad guess. I like her at 400kg in summer and between 420-430kg in winter when it is cold, so she is over what I would like. It is difficult though, she is wintering well and I can’t not feed her with the ground as it is, at the same time I can’t really exercise her with the ground as it is either.

BG is an expert at getting hay out the small holed nets and wolfs it down faster than the other two. We’ve been hanging the hay nets along the fence between the ponies field and the field next door where some sheep are kept. A little sheep with a black face always comes over to share her net and she lets it quite peacefully. The sheep did try one day to share with P2, but he did his stallion impression pawing the ground, snorting and running up and down and the sheep never tried again.

Yesterday morning was cold. BG had ice on her whiskers, ice on her eye lashes and ice on the tufts in her ears. She had a beautiful frosting on the tips of her coat too, she looked beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment