Tuesday 27 April 2010

Just another couple of days

Monday night I put a bridle on BG once she had her tea. She has only had a bridle on a few times in the last year and never in the previous seven years. Despite that she is reasonably good. You have to put it on in two parts. First the bridle as she doesn't like it going up near her eyes or ears, and then you put the bit on second and attach it to the bridle. It isn't the conventional way of doing it, but if it stops her getting too upset it is worth it.

Early on she did get used to popping her head into the bridle as she does with her headcollar, but with her it is one step forward and twenty back so now you have to put it on over her headcollar so you can stop her moving away.

Last time she had the bridle on she was quite headstrong and tried to trot around me rather than listen. I don't like this as I am aware she isn't used to having something in her mouth and I don't want it to tug too much. This time she was better though. I am trying to tweak the reins slightly so she turns on the slight pressure in the corner of her mouth.

I didn't walk her round much but she was reasonably good so I was happy. I don't want to lunge her at the moment, or put the saddle on her, as she was still a little footsore, but it meant I did something with her.

==========================

Tonight I trotted her up and she was so much smoother in trot. I think I might be able to lunge her tomorrow.

She had a good groom tonight too. She is moulting and has been for a few weeks, and probably will be for another couple of weeks. She moults in certain areas at a time, and the areas that are moulting just keep on coming out. I covered the floor of her field shelter tonight, the ends of her coat are white when she is moulting.

First her neck looses it's winter coat, and the tops of her back legs on the inside. Her neck is pretty much all moulted out now, and her face has a diagonal line on it from the ear across the cheek bone under which her coat looks very black in comparison to the rest of her face, as that part is still to loose its winter coat.
Today it was her belly that was moulting, handful by handful.

No comments:

Post a Comment