Monday 26 April 2010

Good as gold and how lucky we are

Last night when we went up to give BG her tea the owners of P1 and P2 (the third pony in the field) were up there.

Normally BG will come down for her food as soon as she sees us but yesterday I don’t think she saw us arrive. We sorted out her food and then went up to try and tempt her down with it. No, she preferred the grass. She did let me go up to her and check her hooves over and give her a stroke (being able to approach her in the field is something only my husband and I can do (and she ran away from him last night)). The other owner said that they went past her in the field and BG saw they were carrying a head collar and fled, so they didn’t think we’d stand a chance catching her that night.

BG just grazed in her own little world. The others even jumped P2 in the same bit of field and she just ignored them and kept on grazing.

So the others left and I thought I should just put up the hay nets and she could go without her tea (she doesn’t really need it). But as soon as the others had gone she came down as good as gold, into her shelter and had her head collar put on. I almost wished the others had forgotten something so they’d have to turn round and come back as I doubt they’ll believe she came straight in once they left.

=============================
I forget sometimes how amazing it is to be able to hug BG and stroke her between her eyes and such like.

BG has a fear of people. I take it for granted I can do these things, with most horses you would take it for granted that you can do a lot more. The other day when BG was on box rest the other owners came up to the field and one of them stroked BG up her neck. She was really happy, she had never managed to stroke BG up her neck before, or her face…it was the closest she had been able to get to BG she said. That really made me realise just how lucky I am that I can do those things to BG without thinking anything of it. Sometimes you need to take and step back and realise just how lucky you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment