Sunday 15 August 2010

Slow process

For some reason BG has decided not to like her field shelter any more. I don't know why but I can go to collect her from the field, she sees the head collar and moves away so I herd her down to the shelter. She will get as far as the entrance and then just stand there, coaxing does not seem to persuade her to go in. P1 and 2's owner tried with extra strong mints this morning with no luck, and I have tried with apple cruchies. The only way I can manage it is to leave her food bowl in her sight (having got her to the entrance) and then walk away so it is just her and the food bowl. Then she will tentatively make her way in and eat, and lick every last bit in the bowl.

I don't like doing this as it means she gets her food before having her head collar on. Luckily I have then put another handful of food in her bowl and she has had her head collar on perfectly. I wish I knew what had suddenly made her dislike her little 'safe shelter'. She is fine once she is in there, it is all just a little odd.

I was going to lunge BG this morning, as a return to normality after last night's antics. I took her out to lunge her but the wind caught the lead rope and pulled on it which worried BG. She turned round on the spot and looked at me for confidence that nothing was going to hurt her. I didn't want her getting upset again so I got a brief trot out of her before calling it a day. It is a pity as I really wanted to spend time with her working her and she did trot beautifully when asked. Tonight there were some jumps set up in the field too and I would have loved to take her over them as they were only low, but I didn't want to risk it (still very blustery).

After last night I am wondering if she will ever be rideable. I would like her catchable for a start. It is a slow process to get her in and head collar her at the moment. She might well be missing her breakfasts this weeks as I won't have the time before work for her to take things slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment