Thursday 12 August 2010

Something not quite right....

Something is not quite right with BG at the moment, as if there is a little niggle annoying her.

She was okay on Tuesday night. I went to catch her in the field but, since she had the head collar incident a few weeks ago, she wouldn’t let me. Unfortunately she doesn’t seem to mind me approaching her with the head collar all the time and sometimes will just stay grazing – but how do I then get her head in whilst her nose is stuck to the ground. BG has always been good at putting her own nose in the head collar to have it on, and when she was being superb the other week and letting me catch her in the field she would raise her head and walk towards me to have it on.

So I couldn’t get her in the field but herded her down to her shelter and caught her in there. Then we just did some in-hand work which involved backing her up through poles without touching her which she did very well at, and leading her past as I got on and off the mounting block. She wasn’t so keen on that, she tensed and her ears went back whenever I stood on it, but we ended with me stood on it and her approaching me till she was close enough to have a treat.

Last night something was wrong though, I wish I could ask what it was. I again had to herd her down and then she wouldn’t have her head collar on at the first few times of asking. The head collar went on eventually and she ate her tea. I gave her a groom after and she stood there like a stone statue, ears pinned back. She didn’t move away, she didn’t stick her head out the shelter door to see what was going on outside like usual, she just stood there.

I lunged her for fifteen minutes and she did everything as asked, but she just didn’t seem to have any spark in her. I need to find something she really enjoys so I can do that with her, but I can’t think what off the top of my head. Tonight she is going to have a night off; just have her head collar on and her tea. Then hopefully she will be better on Friday and it was just that she was having a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment