Sunday 27 June 2010

Happy enough

BG has been looking better and better on her hooves so I decided to try lunging her on Wednesday night. Only five minutes in walk on each rein. She st ode out nicely, really putting energy into it. When I let her loose she was limping more than before, so I won't be trying that again for a while.

I have been leading her out every time I am there to monitor how sore she is, and I always check the heat in her hooves and for any pulse. The last two times I have led her out she has really power walked, and then broke into trot a few times, so she obviously isn't feeling too bad.

To spend time with BG without expecting her to do too much I have given her several long grooms. I don't like to do this too often though as it removes the natural oils from their coats. She has been having fly spray on every time I visit, the flies are everywhere. BG has a few scratches on her neck and a couple of lumps and bumps which is where I think the flies have been getting her.

I am feeling a little down as I want to spend lots of time with BG but I don't know what I can do. I have stood the mounting block alongside her and got up and down on it to try and help desensitise her to it (her ears go back and she tensed but luckily did not move away, and she wasn't being held at all). I know they say just sitting in the field and being around them helps, but unfortunately I really suffer in the heat so being out for long in the field isn't really a viable option.

So I am feeling a little lost, but BG seems happy enough and that is the key thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment