Wednesday 2 June 2010

Loving the cooler weather

The cooler weather seems to have made BG more amenable. It may also be because I have been taking things slowly with her this week, but whatever the reason I am enjoying it.

She has come in for her food with no fuss every day, even trotting in yesterday morning which always makes me smile. The week before last it was a lot of effort to persuade her to come in for food at all.

Her head collar has gone on with no fuss every time, unlike the week before last where she would turn away and hide in the corner when ever I presented it to her.

This morning she was even trying to push her head into her head collar before I had untied it from the ring. She had it put on just outside her shelter, (but still in the field so she could have refused had she wanted!), with no fuss at all.

As mentioned it has been a quiet week for us this week. A gentle lunge on Sunday night when she was very good. Monday night she had a nice groom and then I popped the saddle on her. She is standing perfectly in her shelter again whilst I groom her etc., no more hiding at the back. It still took little baby steps from side to side with her sticking her neck out stubbornly to get her to leave the shelter with her saddle on. Once out I just took it straight off. I want to overcome her not wanting to leave the shelter with it on, and if that means walking her out and taking it off as her reward then I will lug the saddle up there every night and do that.

Another gentle lunge, she stops beautifully on her ‘bad’ rein but is worse on her good rein, tending to take longer to stop or then trying to turn in, bad habits that need sorting out. Last night the top of the ground was slippery so she had a night off. Not much of a groom either as she was wet.

Lets hope I haven’t jinxed it with this post, I like it when BG is happy to be caught and friendly around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment