Thursday 10 June 2010

A quiet week so far

BG has been having an easy week of it. The rain has pelted down here which has made the top of the ground so slippery that I only attempted a gentle lunge on Tuesday night and not the other days. I haven’t really been able to groom her as she has been dripping wet from the rain and I don’t want to brush the water into her coat.

When I first saw the rain the other day I was a little concern BG might suffer from it and get cold and shivery (she is un-rugged all year) but she has been fine, it hasn’t seemed to bother her at all, except sliding a little on the slippery ground a couple of times. The water on her back has just been running down her coat and dripping off. The one thing that is amazing me about her this year is she STILL has some of her winter coat! Just on the lower bit of her legs, and the bit at the top of her neck at the front took a while to go. I just groom her legs and bits of coat pile up on the ground – it is June and it’s not like it has been that cold!

I think it was Tuesday morning (or was in Monday) when we got up the field in the morning to find BG and P2 lying in the field, with P1 keeping guard over them, looking out for any danger. I think P1 saw us and thought that we could take over his guard duty as he promptly lay down next to the other two. BG normally gets up as you approach her, as a horse she is a flight animal so is quite vulnerable if she remains lying down. We were able to approach her cautiously though and stroke her on her head and neck whilst she was still lying down which made my day.

I’m going to have to watch BG’s weight a little with her lack of exercise and the rain making fresh grass come through. On a good note I have the farrier booked in, and I am waiting for a call back from the vets for an appointment time for her annual vaccinations. I left a message last week but I am not too worried yet that I haven’t heard back. Last year I rang them a month in advance thinking they would get very booked up and I didn’t want to miss her deadline, I think they thought I was mad and told me that I could ring back in a couple of weeks time. If I haven’t heard by next week I think I will ring them again though as I will need to book time off work.

Oh, and our car has turned into a mobile store-room. There have been reports of people rummaging through local stables and fields so now BG’s grooming kit, head collar and other things are living in the boot of our car. I do wish people had respect for other people’s belongings.

No comments:

Post a Comment