Saturday 12 June 2010

Positive start, negative finish

BG, as I have mentioned a few times, has been lovely recently. As a reward we finally took her out for a walk. I am ashamed to say it is probably the first time since last year when we have taken her out for a walk. I get extremely tense on these occasions, hence why my husband leads her not me, so she doesn't pick up on this. For the same reason I like to be sure the conditions are perfect for us to go out; not too windy, light not too dim and also no P1 around if possible. This last condition isn't so much for BG, but for P1, as he gets a little upset and careers round the field, he can also jump so I wouldn't be surprised if we got back to find him in the next field along.

P1 was away last night. BG was being very good, I did a quick ten minutes on the lunge before we took her out. P2 got a little upset, calling out as we went, so we didn't go too far.

The reason I get so tense when we go out is, if BG spooked and got loose, there would be the option we wouldn't then be able to catch her....what then? How do people ensure when they are riding out that they will be able to catch the horse if they come off? I don't know. I know BG is harder to catch than most horses, but it does make me wonder if I will ever get over this fear.

So my husband leads BG the majority of the way, and I walk behind, especially on the road, with a spare lead rope (she has snapped the clip on one before when she pulled away scared) and some treats. Normally my husband leads her on a normal length lead rein, this time he opted for the lunge rein, I think he learnt why I prefer them after my fall, as it gives you more length to let out whilst still with the connection to the horse.

BG was a companion pony before we had her, and did not leave her field for several years. Yet another reason why I am nervous when out with her, I had no idea how she would react to things. She has so far been good in traffic, good with other horses, good with dogs and even let a strange stroke her without getting too nervous. I think because it is all new to her she is excited and taking it all in and she has no time to get herself upset, they'd be something else exciting and new for her to see before she upsets herself. The only two times she jumped is once when a dog barked the other side of a hedge, and she jumped sideways to my husband for his protection, and once when the lead rope became too slack when she was grazing and she stood on it. BG did however find the sheep a little nerving on this walk. They are sheep she can see from her field.

So, the walk was a positive. Then we got up the field this morning, a little nervous as it was a hot day and we needed to be able to catch her for the farrier.

BG, P1 and P2 were all lying together, looking like they were almost on top of each other. BG heard the car though and made her way down for her breakfast which I was very grateful for.

She was very good for the farrier, although she is still a little nervous. Her near-fore has no infection now and the majority of the cut back section was trimmed off. The farrier was pleased with the state of her other hooves too, she confirmed that they had all grown a fair bit.

Even better, once I let BG out, the farrier was very complimentary of BG. I like anyone that compliments my little pony, it really makes my day. The farrier was saying she looked really good and that her coat was a beautiful colour.

So they were the positives; a walk, the farrier visit going well and compliments. The negative? BG was lame tonight, hobbling on the hard ground. Normally it is a day or so after the farrier visit that she goes sore if at all, so I am a little concerned that it is so soon after the visit this time.

Put down some shavings in her field shelter to give her something soft to rest her hooves on and I stayed up there for two hours whilst she stayed off the grass. I think she will be in all day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment