Friday 9 July 2010

Another little update

I have to confess (again) that I have been having a quiet week with BG. The ground is rock solid at the moment so I am limited with any work I can do with her in the field. Instead it has been the little things that have made up this week, and spending time just stood with BG giving her cuddles (not that she is an especially cuddly horse – she tolerates it).

She has had her head collar on twice in the field this week. This morning P1 was in her field shelter trying to itch his neck on the door entrance so I popped BG’s food bowl in the field and she had her head collar on without the slightest hesitation. She was even trying to put her head in it before I was ready for her. I think it might be something to do with the fact she was a little confused and wanted to make sure she wasn’t missing out.

I had to put P1’s head collar on this morning. He is due a farrier visit and his owner couldn’t make it up so I was asked to pop it on ready, so he wouldn’t have to have it on whilst in the field for too long. Luckily he was in a very obliging mood and I put it on with no issues. I did that first though and BG watched me walk straight past her and sort him out before sorting out her breakfast. She was a little confused by it all, and even let out a very faint whinny with a flutter of her nostrils to remind me she was there. BG is not a very vocal horse. She has been better about being pleased to see us recently which is nice though, so I think she just felt a little left out.

Having said she isn’t very vocal P1 came back the other day in the horse box and let out a massive ‘Hello’ call to her and P2, and BG gave a very faint whinny back. I think she likes her field companions, which is nice as she can sometimes seem a very independent little girl.

They have sheep for company in the field next door now. They have all had a look but none of them seem too bothered by them.

BG has not only seemed pleased to see us but she has been walking out better on her lead rein too. On a long lead rein she has been walking beautifully with no attempt to trot round in circles. The rope has been kept slack and she has behaved very calmly.

The only other thing to maybe note this week is that last night BG was eating her tea in her field shelter whilst I was cleaning out the water buckets. I felt a movement behind me and turned to see a P1 bottom just vanishing under the leap rope (over the entrance to the field shelter). He went straight in to have BG’s tea. Poor BG looked very surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment