Tuesday 6 July 2010

A little update

So we think BG might have been in season the other day – which is why P1 wouldn’t leave her alone. I’m very lucky that BG in season doesn’t differ from BG the rest of the time. You hear about people whose mares turn into monsters whilst in season. BG might have a tiny bit of discharge at her rear end, but that is it, her temperament remains consistent.

She has been reasonably good about coming in for her breakfast/ tea recently too, which makes life so much easier. She even came in the other day when I took a stranger up to meet her. Then last night P2 was being saddled in the field shelter so I put the head collar on BG in the field. It went over her nose – she pulled back in shock. Then she let me put it over her nose and do it up the second time with no issues.

I was a little miffed the other day though. BG meandered her way down the field when we gave her her tea. She was in no hurry to come down though. We sorted her out, turned her back out and then P1 and P2’s owner came up. They rustled a bag and BG rushed over to see them - why isn’t she that happy to see me? It might have something to do with the apples in the bag. I try not to give BG too many treats, she is putting on weight and I don’t like her to have too much sugar. I don’t want to kick up a fuss either so I will monitor her condition. I have mentioned she is starting to put on weight.

On the good news side she is now sound in walk. She does still look a little short in trot. I have lunged her a couple of times, just briefly in walk and a tiny trot to monitor her movement. Other than that I have done some in hand work with her. She is still trying to run round us in circles when we lead her away from the field shelter so even more work needed there. The odd thing is I led her out on a long lead rope this morning and she walked beautifully, no rushing at all. I think she must know when we are aiming to do something with her and when we are just turning her out.

I have kept up with brushing water on her hooves twice a day in the dry weather. She has also rubbed a tiny patch up by her ear so I have been applying Sudocream to that.

Interestingly she has a dent in her neck. I noticed it before her vets visit the other week. It is on the left side of her neck, I am struggling to remember whether it has been there in the past. A vague memory wants me to say yes, it’s always been there, but I think I will need to go through my old photos to find out. It just looks a little worrying, as looks suggest she will be weaker on that part of her neck. It looks a lot like ‘Prophet’s thumb print’ from what I have seen on-line….I will need to investigate further.

No comments:

Post a Comment