Friday 30 July 2010

A bit of a scuffle

BG has needed to be encouraged down for her feeds but she has been good to catch once in her field shelter again for which I am grateful. Even one day when there was a bike leading against the shelter, the other owners around moving things and topping up water buckets next to us she was very good and had her head collar on. So I am relieved, although still not going to feel totally relaxed until Monday’s farrier meeting is over.

The farrier is due late morning, so a time I normally don’t catch BG. I am wondering whether to shut her in her field shelter for the morning so at least I know I will be able to get her. I haven’t ever done this before a farrier visit so I am umm-ing and arrr-ing over it. Oh for a pony that is a dream to catch. I will be working on catching her in the field again once Monday is over.

BG and P1 had a fight last night. I haven’t seen them do that for a while, they’ve been quite content with each other but last night they decided to kick off, showing each other their back legs in the air. Horses do fight, it is natural, and so long as they don’t do it in anger or viciously I don’t think there is a lot you can do about it. We do tell them off but that only has so much effect. P1 looked like he came away without a scratch but BG has had the skin broken in three places on her off-hind. It bled a bit but she luckily didn’t seem to be feeling it, and didn’t look stiff at all last night or this morning. It looked like it stayed quite clean over night too so hopefully it will clear up quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment