Tuesday 20 July 2010

Still can't quite believe it

Every night since my last post, and some mornings too, I have been approaching BG in the field, carrying her head collar, and catching her. I haven’t been taking the food bowl with me. The longest it has taken is one night when I had to follow her for seven minutes when she kept turning her back on me. This morning she even lifted her head and walked towards me and stuck her nose forward into her head collar! I think I am in shock.

A couple of nights P1 has been grazing close beside her (he is still head butting her to push her round the field and ensure he has her attention) so she has put her nose in the head collar, then pulled back a little unsure before letting me do it on the second attempt. It has been quite windy too and she has still been a super-star.

It seems so unreal that she lets me catch her. I almost want someone else to try to see if I need to fear strangers being able to catch her, but then I don’t want to break the good run we are on at the moment. Maybe I will ask P1 and P2’s owner if she is letting them approach her in the field now.

This morning was the first time I haven’t given her a treat once I caught her. I am hoping catching becomes part of every day life rather than a rare occasion, in which case I don’t want to always be giving treats. I am still waiting for her to revert, but in the mean time I am enjoying it and part of me is wondering if this is a dream, or whether someone has secretly sedated her. She now needs to keep it up a couple of weeks longer, until after the next farrier’s visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment