Thursday 8 July 2010

Prophet's thumb print

So I have gone back over some of the photos of BG from last summer and can faintly see that the dent in her neck was there. It seems slightly less pronouced than the other day now, but it is there, and my thumb fits in the groove almost perfectly.

The photo below isn't that great, but I have been looking at other people's photos on the internet and it looks like other people's images of a 'Prophet's thumb print'.



The common story around these marks seems to be that they are lucky, some people say horses with them make good jumpers. I like the way this sentence sums it up: 'A widespread belief tells of how any horse that has a groove in its neck is to be treasured and treated with great respect...', that is BG, she deserves to be treasured and treated with great respect.

The story is that horses with this mark are descended from one of five broodmares owned by the Prophet Mohammed.

The suggested science behind the mark is that the horse, as a foal in the womb, presses up against the muscles with their hooves and it causes this mark. It looks like a weakness to me in the neck, but it is comforting to read that lots of horses have them with no issues.

I must admit, I don't need a mark on BG's neck to show me how special she is and that she should be treasured.

No comments:

Post a Comment