Wednesday 21 July 2010

Mounting block fear

I was a little surprised last night by how tense the mounting block (just a plastic stool) made BG. I know she doesn’t like it but when I first stood on it her ears went straight back, her head went right up in the air to pull back and her body tensed. I just stood on it, got on and off it, and my husband led her round me in all different directions trying to get her to see it was nothing to be scared off.

The last time I used it to get on her was the time I fell off, so I need to get her used to it again. I want her to be happy with it (and me stood on it) in the open field. I could try putting her in a corner and getting on her that way so she has no where to run, but I have a feeling that would cause more harm than good. It would be a case of the hedge behind her, field shelter on one side, husband stood in front and me on the other side. I know she wouldn’t intentionally hurt either of us but if she took a fright at it I could see her running right through one of us to get away, and that wouldn’t do any of us any good.

Still, I was a little surprised by just how shocked her reaction was. I have stood on it in the field shelter with her since the falling off incident; one time she was perfect, the other time not so good. She must have an inferiority complex and not like anyone to be stood higher than her.

P1 and P2’s owner just passed the mounting block into the field shelter whilst I was grooming BG and her eyes widened with fear and she moved to the back of the shelter. I don’t quite get why she is this fearful of it.

I forgot to ask P1 and P2’s owner if BG was being friendly to them in the field. She wouldn’t let them approach her in her field shelter though after the mounting block appearing, so maybe she isn’t becoming overly friendly with everyone.

BG was a super-star being caught again and I was very proud of her since I thought she might play up with other people around and things going on. She was brilliant, it’s a pity the others didn’t notice, I could have had a proud owner moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment